Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Best Black Bean Tacos EVER!

We had the most delicious black bean tacos EVER last night! I wish I would've taken a picture because I don't like posting recipes with pictures. I will have too take a picture next time and put on here!

The recipe comes from one of the new books I got. The Family Dinner is so much more than a cookbook. There are so many tidbits of information, I think it would be a terrific addition to most family kitchens :)

So here is the recipe for those tacos.

Gary's T-Night Tacos with Cucumber Garlic Salsa (p.9 The Family Dinner)

For the Tacos

Canola Oil
2 medium onions, coarsely grated (I use 1/2 a large red onion on a box grater)
2 15-oz cans of black beans, lightly drained OR 4 1/2 cups home-cooked beans (I used two cans and rinsed them thoroughly)
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce (I used light soy sauce)
2 Tbsp maple syrup (THE REAL STUFF not table syrup corn fructose crap!)

For the Toppings (I say anything you like goes)\

1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used Old/Sharp)
1 cup sour cream of Greek yogurt (Greek)
Chopped avocado (I tossed mine with the rest of the lime juice and 2 Tbsp fine diced red onion)
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped lettuce (romaine)
Cucumber Salsa (SO good!)

Heat a large nonstick pan over med-high heat and drizzle the bottom with canola oil. Saute the onions until they start to soften, then add the beans, spices, soy sauce, and maple syrup.

Reduce heat to med-low and let everything gently cook for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm for 10 minutes in a 250F oven. (I didn't do this).

Serve the tortillas with bowls of beans, and toppings on the side.

Cucumber Garlic Salsa

1 medium cucumber, peeled (I use 2/3s of an english cucumber)
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup lime juice, divided (I used most of the juice of one lime)
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (I had flat leaf parsley and I didn't use 1/2 cup)

Peel cucumber, cut in cubes, and place in a blender (I used a food processor).

Add the peeled garlic cloves (I fine grated it), half the lime juice and a pinch of salt.

Place the top on the blender and use short pulses to blend, adding only enough juice to liquefy.

Add cilantro, stirring it in with a spoon (I adding the cilantro and pulsed some more).

Side Note:
The girls didn't really like the cucumber salsa but the licked it to taste it. I thought it was cool and refreshing especially on the tacos with great Greek yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment