I don't like to buy the boxes of instant oatmeal for many reasons. The first reason is the cost of it, compared to quick oats in bulk. There is also the amount of sugar, salt, unpronounceable words, etc. This is the recipe that we like.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal
3 cups quick oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flaxseeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are our usual suspects)
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix everything together in a big bowl, and then move it to a food storage container/jar/large ziploc bag.
2. When you want to eat some take 1/3 of a cup of oat mixture. Mix in a microwaveable bowl with 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of milk (or all water if you prefer).
3. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring after a minute.
These are some of the things we add to the bowl after:
1. frozen wild blueberries
2. unsweetened applesauce
3. mashed banana
4. more nuts or sunflower seeds
5. any other fruit, fresh or frozen